Our son got his driving learner’s permit this month so it was time to call the insurance agency. Automobile insurance is often a commodity purchased from whoever provides the lowest price. Not in our case. Our Allstate® agent, Michael Torr, provides amazing customer service and we haven’t gone price shopping in years (but don’t tell him that!). Michael waited an hour after closing so it would be convenient for us to have him meet with our son to talk about insurance policies. He spent more than 30 minutes after we arrived talking about teen driving and explaining how “getting behind the wheel of the car means you’re putting the financial security of your family at risk.” He showed our son how much extra it will cost if he drinks and drives, gets in an accident, gets a speeding ticket, or even if he gets bad grades! Going above and beyond the call of duty like that is why Michael has serviced our family’s life, auto, and health insurance needs for nearly 20 years. How can doing what Michael Torr does increase your word of mouth marketing?
- Develop a relationship with your customers – be personable and personal.
- Send emails or other greetings for birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc.
- Optimize visitor website experience based on their prior actions on your site.
- Offer options and upsells that are relevant for your users.
- Make sure your customer service effort keeps your product from becoming a commodity.
There was a Tweet today from several people attending PubCon of a quote attributed to Mike Arauz who said, “If I tell my friends about your brand, it’s not because I like your brand, but rather because I like my friends.” I’ve told you about Michael Torr at Allstate® because of his customer service, what makes you tell your friends? Please leave a comment below to let me know!